Monday, October 22, 2007

An Irish Library

I was in awe as we entered. There were shelves and shelves of endless books, all old, all beautifully rich in history. There was a lingering smell of dust and the ancients, these books had seen a great deal. Many eyes had past over the words contained in these pages and many hands had caressed their leafs. A rod iron staircase ascended to the second floor, where even more books were housed and kept by the keepers of the library. I was in heaven. I wandered and gazed in ecstasy at the countless volumes of great literature, Christian theology, scientific thought, and historic records. I selected a few precious volumes and sat absorbed in their pages for a space. Time passed unnoticed, until I was roused from my revere, by the announcement that our group must depart. I sadly ripped myself away from this glorious haven and entered again into reality. I will return, however, to this wondrous place that is the first public library of Northern Ireland. What a glorious thing, books...