Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The internet...

Technology is a paradoxical thing. If offers such conveniences, and essentially makes life so much easier. However, there is a catch, as with all things. Any good thing can easily be turned into something devilishly evil. The absence of something generally makes one appreciate it far more when that thing is restored, but perhaps that thing wasn't all that good to begin with? I am discovering that Internet is very much a two edged sword. Modern society is so used to its conveniences and life is difficult to imagine without such technology. But, this wonderful invention creates such distractions and horrible alternatives to real life that I cannot deem it wholly good. It does prove wonderfully convenient at times, but it draws the life out of humanity. It zaps hours, days and even years of our lives. It provides so much at out very figure tips, yet how often do we truly use it for beneficial, and I mean truly beneficial means? It has endless possibilities: It can enhance ones knowledge, or degrade the mind. It can provide new avenues for the imagination, or dull the intellect. One must approach such convenience with caution. It has grave consequences. I sound harsh upon this topic of Internet and technology, but I fear the ramifications are great. Since being without this convenience the past month or so, I feel more able to objectively evaluate, but give me a few days or weeks and it will have me in its clutches again, lest I fight back against complacency...

No comments: