Saturday, July 19, 2008

Regret

The tragedy of life is that we only have one. I know, or rather I assume, that every human being lives with some amount of regret. We are only one person, and only capable of doing so much, seeing so much, accomplishing so much, striving after so many goals--we are always left with things not done, not seen, not accomplished and goals not had. What are we to do with these maddening regrets? The knowledge that because we chose to live one life and thus missed out on another life that perhaps could have been is--in short--insanity. If we live thus, rather if I live thus, I will go mad. I do feel it is a constant battle, however, to embrace the life one has chosen. There is always the haunting question--"what if?" That is the nature of regret, but that does not have to be the nature of life...we are left then with choice--the demon that began it all. We must choose.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

there is so much i want to do, need to do, MUST do...how can i cram it all in? Jesus, if i live every day as fully as i possibly can, will you make sure that nothing that my life was meant to contain will be left out?