Monday, November 9, 2009

Be careful what you pray for...

Life is riddled with irony. We are all familiar with the saying, "be careful what you wish for?" I know it more intimately as, "be careful what you pray for." I far too often underestimate the power of prayer. I beseech my Father, making petitions and forming requests, yet not fully understanding the potency or possibility in what it is I pray for. And then I am utterly surprised when He answers me, sometimes indignant. It's as if I don't expect it. My response to His responses usually progresses from surprise, to indignant anger, to utter gratitude. Gratitude for his realness. Yet, when we forget our requests for patience, for humility, for brokenness, and the answers arrive, the irony becomes painfully apparent. Maybe it's not irony, and something far more spiritual like grace or faithfulness, but to me, it feels pretty damn close to irony--the irony of getting exactly what you asked for--thank goodness for such painful irony...

No comments: